Monday 7 February 2011

What have I been up to then?



Since my last post I have been working on the Advanced Relief Print projects. I decided to spend at least a month just researching and working in my sketch book on the theme of erosion. This took me to an ancient Victorian cemetery and led to distressing bits of paper with bleach, it's still very much a work in progress but I used one photo from it, of an old rusty shackle, as the basis of my lino cut.

I have included the full entries from my note book as I completed the project, on a separate page.

My original thinking for choosing the theme of Erosion came from reviewing an old sketch book which had taken some black and white photo's of Brompton Cemetery and then extended with collage to cover A3 sheets (see pictures included). I liked the textural qualities I had created, the crumbling masonry, ivy and disfigurement of angels by the elements. When I tried to push these ideas in my sketch book I found it difficult and ran out of steam somewhat. I will come back to it later and may even use some of the images in my final relief prints.

I also felt that this course requires me to explore printmaking not themes like Erosion in an abstract way. That doesn't mean I shouldn't continue my sketchbook explorations as new ideas emerge but I shouldn't feel bad about using an image I generate simply for it's suitability as material for a print rather than to illustrate something I feel about 'Erosion'. In short the course is about Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment