Thursday 21 July 2011

Response to Tutors Notes on Assignment 4








I read my tutor's notes on the collagraph assignment several times because there were several things in them I found thought provoking. The assigment was a difficult one for me because I enjoyed it emmensely but failed to produce any work that looked like 'a proper print'. Nichola mentioned my 'painterly style of printing' and I think that is a good way of describing quite a lot of my work.

Maybe my idea of what 'a proper print' is needs to broaden?

I looked at the work she sugested: 'Fissure' by Karl Weshke and 'Composition' by John Wells, also 'Harbour' by Alexander Mackenzie (all detailed here) and I had a sudden insight into a different kind of printing, maybe abstract or semi abstract, maybe using texture and colour in an expressive and free way and I suddenly felt very excited about using the techniques I have explored to date in such a way.

I am currently doing the combined mono print and lino cut module of Assignment 5 and will then do a Chine colle module but in the final module I am encouraged to explore all the techiniques covered in this course to produce a series of prints. I think this would be a good opportunity to let rip!

The prints Nichola suggested I look at also reminded me of work by Robert Motherwell and Peter Lanyon (detailed here) and I will immerse myself in more of the same as preparation for my final work.

No comments:

Post a Comment